Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Welcome Christy Effinger!

Today, I'm pleased to feature author Christy Effinger. Her poetry, fiction, and essays have appeared in various print and online publications.

But today, we're here to talk about her latest novel. Released on August 29, 2014, "Say Nothing of What you See" is a Paranormal New Adult.

Christy offers us some information about this novel.

When her aunt steps off a grain elevator into the emptiness of a prairie evening, Mira Piper loses her one protector. Chloe, her flighty mother, impulsively drags her daughter to Bramblewood, an isolated spiritualist retreat in northern Michigan, run by the enigmatic Dr. Virgil Simon.

Chloe plans to train as a medium, but it's Mira who discovers she can communicate with the dead. When her mother abandons her, Mira discovers a darker aspect to Bramblewood: the seemingly kind doctor has a sinister side and a strange control over his students.

Then one winter's day Troy Farrington arrives, to fulfill his mother's dying wish and deliver her letter to the doctor. But calamity strikes and he finds himself a captive, tended by a sympathetic Mira. Haunted by her dead aunt and desperate to escape Bramblewood, Mira makes a devil's deal with Dr. Simon. But fulfillment comes with a steep cost...betrayal. 

And Christy is generously allowing us to take a peek inside. Here's an excerpt:

“You are absolutely stunning, Mira.”

I stole another glance in the mirror. The material was a rich, shimmery gold that fell from my shoulders in folds of liquid light. It looked like something a Greek goddess might wear. Oh, how I wished the girls from Amberville High School could see me in this dress!

“When you came here,” said Dr. Simon, “I had a vision of you like this. I looked at the girl before me, but I saw the woman you are now.”

“Thank you,” I murmured, gesturing toward the piles of clothes on my bed. “You’ve been so generous. I know you’ve spent a good deal of money on me—”

“Money means nothing,” he interrupted abruptly. “I have more than I could ever spend, more than I know what to do with. Don’t consider the cost.”

His tone was brusque, and I wondered if I had offended him.

But the next moment Dr. Simon smiled. “I think of you as my charity case. You were like a doll thrown out in the garbage. I simply rescued you from the trash, cleaned you up, and dressed you in something decent. But the beauty was present all along.” He touched my cheek. “Here.” Then he touched my forehead. “Here.” Then he touched my chest. “And here.”

I knew he was referring to my heart, but even so, his hand on my chest made my face warm with discomfort.

“You blush so easily,” he laughed. “You’ll never be able hide anything, Mira, with such a transparent face.”

“That’s all right,” I said, taking a small step back. “I don’t have anything to hide.”

"Say Nothing of What you See" can be purchased at:

The Wild Rose Press:

Amazon:

BN.com

I was able to get in touch with Christy and ask her a few questions. Check out her 'for fun' questions at the end of the interview.

Starr for QueenWriter News (QW): Tell us a bit about your background that we won't find in your bio.
           
Christy Effinger (CE): For as long as I can remember, I have loved the written word. My first job at sixteen was shelving books at the public library. In college, I worked as a writing tutor while majoring in English, and in graduate school I taught freshman composition as part of my master’s degree. After grad school, I taught English for several years at an urban community college. Through all of this, my dream was to one day be a professional writer with a book of my own in print. I am finally living that dream. 


QW: Tell us what inspired you to write "Say Nothing of What You See."

CE: I’ve long been interested in cults, communes, and other fringe groups. The follower mentality perplexes me. Why will some people do whatever they’re told, even to the point of mistreating others? The fascinating thing about humans is that we can rationalize anything.

Say Nothing began as an exploration into power, control, and jealousy—but also love, which is stronger than the other three. Stronger than anything, really.


QW: Other than the synopsis of your book, tell us why you think readers will enjoy it.

CE: A reviewer at Tome Tender called it, “A tale of darkness and despair at the hands of a madman . . . fabulous reading.” I hope readers looking for a suspenseful story set in an eerie atmosphere will enjoy this book.

QW: Your website indicates you also write short works, such as poetry. Where do you get your inspiration for your poetry?

CE: My poetry is much more personal than my fiction. Most of my poems are interpretations or reflections on what happens to me in real life.

QW: What other short works have you written, published or not?

CE: Besides poetry, I’ve written short stories, flash fiction, and short essays. My short work has been published in print and online literary journals. I’ve compiled a list with hyperlinks on my website.

QW: Do you believe in writer's block? If so, has this happened to you? And if so, what do you do to get past it?

CE: I do believe in writer’s block, but I’ve always managed to work through it and find my way again. Writer’s block has never caused me any long-term paralysis. (I hope I didn’t just jinx myself!)

QW: What's next on your writing list? Are you currently penning this or is this in the 'thinking' stage?

CE: I’m currently editing my WIP, so I’ve begun thinking about my next project. It’s still in the planning stage. I hope to begin writing it soon.

For fun:

QW: Complete the following sentence: "If I had one day to do something other than writing, I would ..."

CE: I would spend the day at the beach with my husband, fruity rum drinks, and a good book.

QW: Name two things you hate and two things you love.

CE: I hate soggy bread and being stuck in traffic. I love windy spring days and bubble baths.  
QW: You can bring one book, one movie, and one music CD to a remote island. What would those be?

CE: The book: "Good Poems," an anthology edited by Garrison Keillor. The movie: Young Frankenstein. The CD: Ceremonials by Florence + the Machine. 

Thank you, Christy, for taking time to speak with me and your readers and fans. Christy lives near Indianapolis. If you want to know more about Christy and her work, you can visit her at: 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting me on your lovely blog.

Blog Gadget